Reaching out beyond the dream of what you thought was real, spinning on this ball of life, head now under heel. Ready to die, to live this life so raw, alive on ledge- dancing, hurling, freeing your soul to finally stretch the edge.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crashing on Memory Lane


Don’t be looking for me here in my big, fancy house
I’m gone now, racing down Memory Lane
It all started with the second glass of wine and a trip
To the garage where I spilled a box of stuff
All over the floor- there were poems and kids’ awards
And cards and souvenirs and a black, velvet box which
At first I did not recognize
Til I opened it and saw the name and remembered
The day that I went to the jeweler to pick out a ring
I was told to pick anything but I picked this one because
It was neither big nor small but it sparkled like the fire
that was inside of me
And it seemed to fit my finger and all that I thought I wanted
But now the box is empty
I couldn’t at first remember
But then came the story of that sad little September
When I couldn’t pay the bills so I took it into town
And turned it into food, and brakes and tires and power
Earlier today I stared at my hands and thought, ‘not bad for an old girl’
Then I moved my mystical gem to my left ring finger and
Admired how it sparkled, and swooned with how it made me
Feel to remember how good it once was to belong to someone “forever”
How funny to think that I would want that again and how funny
That this sad, empty box made me remember
On the day that I thought how nice it would be to love someone
Who would also love me forever (or maybe just for a little while)
that I would go crashing down Memory Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment