Reaching out beyond the dream of what you thought was real, spinning on this ball of life, head now under heel. Ready to die, to live this life so raw, alive on ledge- dancing, hurling, freeing your soul to finally stretch the edge.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Plunge!

.
The images that stick with you because of the effect they have on your being, are the ones that can never be captured in something as still as a photo.  Their magic can be re-visited via memory, or being witness to something of a similar feeling or a momentary vision that triggers the memory's flood.

There is that nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach which frequently feels like I'm going to throw up.  The only difference is that there is no pain and no nausea.  Just a feeling like something is going to need to come out.  One of my most familiar practices when this feeling comes, is to jump in the shower.  The soothing warmth of the water not only brings relief to my aching muscles, but the sound that each drop makes as it hits anything other than air, is a note that sings the song of my heart.  I do love the rain.

Yesterday as I showered in what seemed to be the slowest of motion, I was plagued with old heartaches brought about by the newest pain.  It's the same pain, really, just recycling itself into a monotonous ache that I seemed a little too easily recovered from.  But it makes me wonder if chasing this thing is even worth its while. 

After being lost in thought for an immeasurable time I snapped to for a moment and realized that the water was backing up.  I don't know why this surprised me, as it has been happening for a while now.  I tried Drano and that worked for a few days.  I thought to myself that I really need a man to snake this clogged pipe for me.  I teetered between the annoyance that I had yet another thing to take care of, and the liberating thought that so what- at least my feet are getting a good soaking and will be much softer.  There's an upside to everything.
After the silliness of the wasted minutes mulling my next course of action I reached for the plunger.  I had plunged this sucker almost every day for the past couple of weeks.  It hadn't done anything to help the situation, but I had to still try.  It was better than polluting the water with more chemicals, and in theory, could actually get the job done.  I plunged.  I tried several different techniques, employing varying speeds of push, release, and placement of the suction head.  I tried a little harder than I had previously remembered doing.  It didn't seem to matter.  Okay... time to throw on the towel... this shower's over.

One quick distracting thought left me in the shower for just another... I don't know how long.  I must have been having an exhausting memory of  I don't know... defeat, loss, sadness... pick one.  When I came to I was leaning on the cool tile of the shower wall, crying.

Something tapped my foot so of course I looked down.  It was a nearly empty shampoo bottle that was moving at a deliberate pace toward the drain.  What?  I looked at the drain just in time to watch that last swirl of water rush downward as it made a sucking sound that drowned out the sound of the falling drops.

.
Om Bhur Bhuvah Svah Tat Savitur Varenyum
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayaat

Om mani padme hummmmmmmmmm

ohmmmm my!

No comments:

Post a Comment