Reaching out beyond the dream of what you thought was real, spinning on this ball of life, head now under heel. Ready to die, to live this life so raw, alive on ledge- dancing, hurling, freeing your soul to finally stretch the edge.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

LOVE letters

I hear nothing in my ear but your voice.
Heart has plundered mind of all its eloquence.
Love writes a transparent calligraphy,
so on the empty page my soul can read and recollect. - Rumi


Yesterday I experienced "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," a movie about fantasy, Life and love. A few critics had panned it for being remiss in attaining its goal. What I find most funny about this particular review is the absolute message about 3/4 or maybe 7/8 of the way through the film, where the illusive character shares with Walter (who is experiencing a real adventure) that not everything has to be captured, but that sometimes you just have to be with the moment. The ultimate capture is the love in the moment.

Walking out of the movie I remembered that I needed to replenish my waning lip gloss stockpile. I was having trouble walking quickly to keep up with my friend because I kept getting lost in the visuals of the film where Walter is running past the posters of LIFE magazine, as he headed out to his adventure. The closing of LIFE inescapably recollected all of these moments which had made it. And all of these moments, if we allow ourselves to feel them, were founded on love. Not just my love, although some of them jarred and started me, but the love of people everywhere. People who I have not yet thought to imagine. 

Just a few hundred feet from the storefront where I was headed, another store grabbed my attention. There was a beautiful table which I immediately fell in love with. On top of the table, however, was what had really called me to look. The capital letters L O V E. I went inside to inspect them and discovered that they were constructed of rolled up magazine pages. Hadn't I just seen the movie about the closing of LIFE magazine and realized something wonderful? These letters were made to be mine. Love letters, after all, have always been my thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment