Reaching out beyond the dream of what you thought was real, spinning on this ball of life, head now under heel. Ready to die, to live this life so raw, alive on ledge- dancing, hurling, freeing your soul to finally stretch the edge.

Friday, July 29, 2011

top shelf dreams

Fumbling in the dark trying to
Invent some new recipe
Just don’t even know
What to add anymore

Electricity’s gone out
Candles are fading
And dinner time
Is almost here
                        
Across the hills
Float sounds of
beckoned children
calling back to home

My belly’s growling
My mouth is salivating
My want is yearning
And the pan is burning dry

Not another hungry night
Please, not another one
In the pantry on the top
Shelf in the dark

Lined up bottles of this
And that
Some of them are empty
And some of them are shot

I grab at anything
It would have to be
Better than
Nothing at all

Gotta try it out
Gotta put something
In the pan
Or I’ll starve to death, for sure

In the dark closet
Where I can no longer see
What is on that top shelf
The bottom line is that

Even poison seems
Like sustenance
In the middle of
All of this hungering

It would be better to starve
this slow cruel death than to
Sear my insides on your
Burning, empty, charred skillet

It seemed so good
As I reached into the dark
For something that
Might save me

You were there
On the top shelf
With your bottom line
Watching me sizzle and burn



No comments:

Post a Comment