Reaching out beyond the dream of what you thought was real, spinning on this ball of life, head now under heel. Ready to die, to live this life so raw, alive on ledge- dancing, hurling, freeing your soul to finally stretch the edge.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One foot in front of the other

It's May 13th, the day after May 12th... just another Wednesday. On this particular Wednesday my man child is twenty years old. He is handsome, strong, kind, funny, insightful, and warm. He has passion, drive and hope. Today there will be delicious cake to celebrate his life. I will quietly celebrate the victories in spite of the difficulties, the triumphs achieved in the face of challenges, and the life that still beats boldly in spite of the deaths we have escaped. As he wishes on his candles I will be wishing for him that he builds a life to be proud of. One filled with pride, tempered success, and love that will not fail him.

As scary as it might be to take another step into a day filled with unfamiliar challenges and pain, a step I take alone, I am comforted knowing that all of the precarious steps I've taken before have led me here. Here where I watch a beautiful man blow out his candles. This all could have ended very differently had I chosen not to keep going, or not to keep giving or trying when things were so dark and difficult. But here we are, ready to eat some more cake. And here I am, once again, extending my foot, always moving forward.

Happy Birthday Frank!

.....

No comments:

Post a Comment